SUNSTYLE CHRONICLES from www.sunstyle.co.za

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Google

Well this shows the sexist assumptions I have about people. I assumed the journalist Hleziphi was a man! Well she is not and the more I read her work, the more excited i become that at last we may have the beginnings of a new type of journalism here. A business reporting that deals with the REAL economy rather than the gambling of the stock exchanges and the meanderings of mega-multi nationals. Hleziphi or Mary as she asked me to call her, is at the cusp of a truly interesting process.

Someone aksed me about the impact Ssunstyle has had. I really find this a difficult question to answer but I think Google may help us here.

In 2003, I googled the words "Spaza Shop" and got three hits. yesterday morning I googled the words "Spaza Shop" and got 33,500 hits!

Now either the google crawlers have finally got to S in their process or this phenomnon has begun to be part of the business culture, has begun to be "mainstream" whatever that may be.

The informal sector, the Real economy is not a replacement of the formal economy, it is a necessary alternate that always works alongside any formal system. In many ways it supports the formal economy and in many ways it acts as a "fixer" for all the blind alleys that the foermal economy creates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home